1430 W is a 4-story, pre-war, walk-up residential property located at the intersection of the 14th and U Street Corridor. Purchased at auction in 2011 with 26 units, UIP worked with the tenants to vacate the building, and performed a $3.8 million gut renovation. A total of 12 new apartments were added; 7 apartments through the excavation of the basement and 5 apartments on the upper floors. 1430 W’s repositioning included historic façade restoration, landscape installation, redesign of all common areas, access control, in-unit laundry, stainless steel kitchen appliances, granite countertops, and brand new bathrooms. All new mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems allow for individual metering of utilities, greatly reducing operating expenses.